Sunday, November 21, 2010

Fudge, Cookies, Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes....

One of my athletes asked me to send out a few words on what to eat over the holidays. Here are my thoughts...

My favorite class in my nutrition program in college had to do with emotional aspects of eating. I loved this class because food is so greatly tied into emotion, celebration, family and holidays. I have wonderful memories of eating at the holidays. Thanksgiving always reminds me of eating with my Grandma and stuffing the turkey when I was a little girl. Christmas reminds me of the yummy Christmas cookies my Mom made. I have one particular memory of my my friend Lori and I making Christmas cookies when we were in junior high. Lori spilled a giant container of sugar all over my Dad's kitchen floor. I don't think that floor every recovered. Those sure were good cookies though! I have my own food favorites as an adult which includes; fudge, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and frosted Christmas cookies.

I could go on and tell you some magazine tips on, "How to not eat too much at Thanksgiving". But do you really want to hear that? Most people will read the article at the doctor's office and disregard or eat more when the day comes.

My thoughts on the holidays are simple. Enjoy your family, enjoy your friends, enjoy the holidays and enjoy the the cranberry-laced food. When it comes to the food part just be a little sensible. If you go overboard at one party, it isn't going to kill your fitness program. If you go overboard at all of them it might set you back just a bit. Remember to be easy on yourself. Don't spend the whole party worrying about how many calories you have eaten. Food is fun and parties usually have fun food. Try some, just don't eat the whole table. You don't have to sample every Christmas cookie that comes into work, just have one of your favorites. Instead of four pies of pie at Thanksgiving, just have one. Get the picture?

As we go into this holiday season, enjoy this precious time you get to spend with your loved ones. Enjoy the wonderful food you get to eat! Most importantly, enjoy the people you spend the holidays with.

No comments:

Post a Comment