Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Season Begins






Last season was a season of watching my Mom, who was 62 years old, complete her first triathlon. It was a completely fulfilling experience as she let me be her coach. I think personal training and coaching in kind of like counseling and you really shouldn't coach or train your family. Well, we certainly broke those rules! I have loved the races I have completed, but last year, it was an even better feeling watching Mom finish her first race. The best part is, she wants to do more. She is now training for the Moses Lake Triathlon which looks to be an entire family event. Of course, I am breaking the rules again and training my husband.

This year's season began with watching again, which I completely loved. My sister-in-law, Karie, completed her first triathlon in Tucson last weekend. Eric and I flew down and suprised her two days before her race. I wans't sure what would stress her out more, knowing we were coming or being suprised with the fact that we were there. I knew if she knew we were coming, she would spend time worrying about whether or not her house was clean. Seeing as we don't care too much about clean houses, we chose the suprise route. I really enjoyed spending the two days prior to the race with Karie and Aaron. I think I gained a few pounds pre and post-race eating for her! Of course, I was completely teary eyed as she started, transistioned and finished her race. And she ROCKED!!!!!

Now that observing is over, I'm ready to begin a new season of triathlons. I'm looking forward to trying out the Olympic distance at Moses Lake this year. Mom and I ordered new wetsuits...we will see how that goes. I'm mostly looking forward to racing with my husband, mom and two sister-in-laws!

2 comments:

  1. I still fretted over the house NOT being clean. Thank you so much for coming. Having you and Eric there meant a lot to me. Moses better watch out! The Gandee/Carson clan is coming to town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I promise to even it out and NOT clean before you come!

    ReplyDelete