Thursday, August 13, 2009

It's almost time....

I just looked at the ticker on my blog, "3 days, 17 minutes" until the Lake Stevens Ironman.  I didn't imagine how I would feel when I saw such a small number on the countdown ticker. Surprisingly, I have been sleeping well the past few night and I feel great.  In fact I have been sleeping better than ever.  Maybe it's the week of summer rain that has decided to show up.  

I can't wait to get out on the course and see what it's like to complete a half-ironman.  I have in my mind two goals; finish and have a great time.  I'm confident both of those will happen. I'm looking forward to seeing my good friends out on the course.  You know your friends are great when they tell you they are getting cardboard to make signs for you.  I've found out some of my police friends are going to be out there as well.  I'm most excited to see Eric, Payton, Marley, Mom and John.  I'm sure Marley will be driving everyone crazy as she already says, "go biker" every time she sees a cyclist.  Will she do this 1500 times on Sunday...oh, I hope!

It's been a great journey training for this event.  I have some amazing training  days and some really tough training days.  I have taken a lot of time from my family.  My hope is this time away is an example to my kids of how important it is to stay healthy.  My husband's support is unwavering.  He's endured many of my early mornings to which I find breakfast ready for me when I return.  I am also very appreciative of my mom, sis-in-law Karie and friends; Darlene, Andrea and Tracy who have encouraged me along the way.  Thanks ladies!!!

I know Sunday is going to be a great day.  I'm determined to enjoy the whole process, coming away with experience I can pass along to other future triathletes.

1 comment:

  1. Mary I wish I could be there with a cardboard sign, but know I will be thinking about you... as I think you will help me get through mine! Can't wait to hear all about it. Oh.. and at least one of us is getting sleep this week!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete