Friday, July 10, 2009

Fear


I just spent the past week in Eniat and Winthrop with my wonderful little family. We first visited our friends, the Gibsons at their property. They generously shared their holiday with us, which included a 4th of July parade, swimming, bouncy house, water slide, picnic and fireworks. The kids had a great time with Bri (their new nanny). I'm all about having my kids look up to a superstar runner and most importantly a great person. After filling our bellies with ice cream, doughnuts, and slushies for two days, we traveled with Winthrop. We camped at Pearrygin Lake which is now my favorite place to camp. The campground was right on the lake and included a boat launch and swimming area. Views of the outlying hills were perfect and we had a family of deer which we visited every day. The girls became expert "deer-spotters". They pretty much blew our ear drums with each sighting.


I was also happy to get in some training time while camping. It helped that our new puppy was up at 6am each day, ready to greet the world. I swam with Bri at the pool in Sun Cove. I forgot how much fun it is to swim in the sun in an outdoor pool. Bri did great and taught me a new stroke which is going to take me some time to master.


In Winthrop, I found some wonderful training grounds. Although beautiful, these grounds taught me a lot about conquering fear. I used to take off into the woods and run by myself. One day, while running at Snoqualmie pass, I felt the hairs on my neck standing up. I was sure someone or something was watching or following me. I did an immediate 180 and returned to my car. I don't think I have run on trails alone since that day. I was pretty excited to see the roads in Winthrop looked great for biking and the swim area was long enough to get in some good open water swim training.


My problems began when I set out to run the first morning. As I ascended the hill out of the park fear crept into my brain. I started to worry about predatory animals just waiting for a nice "jogger snack". So, I gave in and returned to the park and completed my run in the relative safety of the park. I really had to laugh at myself later in the morning as we set out for town in our truck. There on the road were runners and cyclists. None appeared to have bite marks!


We ventured down to the swimming area later in the day. Eric swam for a few minutes and then I got in. The water was comfortable and clean. As soon as I began my crawl stroke, those fears and worries about swimming in open water began to creep into my mind. Did they have to make so many Jaws movies??? Now, I know Jaws doesn't exist in Pearrygin lake but the fact that I couldn't see too far in front of my face was unsettling. I got out after a few laps and told myself I would return each day of our trip until I conquered this fear.


The second day, I went for an afternoon bike ride. I now felt ready for these unknown roads. I had an amazing ride through the Winthrop valley toward Twisp. There are tons of little horse farms, any of which I could have immediately moved into. Later that day, I swam again and made it farther in the green waters.


On our third day, I made the waters of Pearrygin lake my friend. After reading about how much energy stress takes from our bodies, I decided I was going to calm down and get to swimming. As I began to swim, I could feel my fears begin to set in. With each breath, I pushed them out and felt my shoulders and back relax. My body straightened out and I began to swim the stroke I comfortably swim at the pool. I actually started to enjoy the waters, even the green murkiness I was swimming through!


Finally, on our last morning (my 35th birthday), I went out for a run, as I love to do on my birthday. I ran from the west park through a trail to the east park. The morning was crisp, skies were blue and the scenery was amazing. I ventured out to the road and worked my way towards Winthrop. I passed a couple out for a walk and noted they did not have any animal bite marks! I then turned around and completed the hill back into our campground. I had to laugh at myself when something in the grass next to the road moved. I jumped and so did that deer!!! I finished my run and was greeted by my girls. We shared some giant cinnamon rolls. I celebrated a perfect way to spend my birthday!


On an ending note....I met my mom for a swim this morning at the local pool. As I started in the water, I was struck by the taste and smell of chlorine! I would have been great to be back in the lake again.

2 comments:

  1. "Come to the edge," he said. They said, "We are afraid." "Come to the edge," he said. They came. He pushed them ... and they flew." -- Guillaume Apollinaire.

    Congrats

    ReplyDelete