Sunday, June 28, 2009

Rock N Roll Seattle

Yesterday, I began the Seattle Rock N Roll half marathon with over thirty thousand other people. It was an entertaining two hours of people watching, filled with memorable moments. They began with the two ladies waiting in line for the porta potties, wearing shorts, t-shirts and plastic garbage bags over the top.  It was a bright sunny day and I'm still hoping they took those off before they started running.  Next came my favorite person.  The Police Officer at mile one who said, "You guys are doing great...the finish line is just around the corner."  The true to form cynicism of a Police Officer!  This kept me laughing for the next mile! There were great costumes too.  I just keep wondering how comfortable they can be about an hour into the race. Especially the sequins, lays and wigs!!  Mostly this race was filled with great enthusiasm and I always love seeing so many people in one place doing something healthy.  I'm hoping everyone is feeling good today.

For myself...it was a fun race.  I'm a bit of a loaner when it comes to racing.  I know tons of my friends were out there running but I didn't manage to see anyone.  Fortunately there was an enormous amount of traffic, so I didn't make it to the start on time.  I started with the thirteenth wave, rather than the third wave.  This probably came as an advantage, slowing me down and helping me stick to my target pace.  It took awhile to weave though the crowd and I finally found my stride.  I was completely happy I signed up for the half marathon at mile eleven, when I was ready to be DONE!  I rounded the corner to the finish and heard Eric and Karie yelling at me.  Yeah, they found me!  I crossed the finish in 1:53:25.  Not too bad for a season of triathlon training, not really paying attention to my running pace.  I finished just in time to see the male winner of the MARATHON!  Amazing!

I'm usually not to worried about what I wear, or even if it matches.  Last weekend, I went with Darlene to see some clothes by Oiselle.  Darlene has told me how amazing these running clothes are, so I finally decided to give them a try.  Oiselle's clothes are designed for women runners.... and they are COMFORTABLE.  I tried a pair of orange (of course) shorts and actually ran in one of their cotton t-shirts.  I'm now sold on Oiselle's clothes.  I recommend them to all women runners.  They are completely comfortable and light.  I even was great on a warm day in a cotton tee.  (Thanks Darlene!)  http://www.oisellerunning.com

The best part of the race came at the end (of course) when I met up with my cheering squad; Eric, Payton, Marley, Payton and Bella.  Payton tackled me on the ground!  A greeting like this, makes Rock N Roll Seattle my best marathon race!  Next report.....Lake Stevens Half TRIATHLON!!!

1 comment:

  1. i have to tell you i didn't know what the half ironman entailed until today. met a guy swimming at the gym starting his training for an ironman next summer. when i asked about it i wanted to passout. i give you SO MUCH credit mary. i am cheering you on right now because i couldn't begine to imagine pushing my body to that limit. you inspire me.

    ReplyDelete